Monday 18 May 2009

The aftermath

I walked out the exit and there stood Steve and then I just started crying. It had stopped raining and I pointed at some empty grass and said I wanted to sit there. As we sat down Amanda came over with her husband and 3 littlies.

I managed to get my accessories off and got on the floor. I took my trainers off and couldn’t believe the state my feet were in, no wonder they hurt so much. Steve fetched out a flask of tea and a bottle of Asti (I’m cheap, I prefer Asti to Champagne LOL) I had some of both, and they were both beautiful! Me and Amanda swopped experiences and Steve was very good at looking after me. Diane had headed home once she crossed the line, and Amanda said that she had seen Sam cross the line but that she then passed out and was taken to the medical tent. We really had put ourselves through it hadn’t we. I'd seen 2 people collapse in front of me on the way round as well.

Then after half an hour it started to rain again. We started packing our things away and I got my brolly out. We split up from Amanda and co and made our way to the edge of the park in order to catch a taxi. It was only a short distance but it took so long to walk it. I had my crocs on, but as I had blisters under my toes and on my heels, I couldn’t walk in any way other than to shuffle flat footed along the floor. We got a taxi and headed over to Charing Cross, by this time it was absolutely lashing it down. Someone really was watching over me weren’t they? At the station I needed the toilet again, getting down those stairs was such hard work! I got myself a Burger King breakfast – I was so hungry by this point I would have eaten cardboard.

As we sat on the platform Steve said ‘Isn’t that your friend?’ and up walked Sam. I thought she had gone home, but she had been in the medic tent for over an hour so we got the train home together and swapped a few more stories.

Getting off the train in Ashford was definitely a comedy moment as we held on to the doors and backed out of the train. Then laughed as it took us so long to get in the lift, the doors started to close on us. Then at the barriers the attendant had to let us through the wide gate so we didn’t have to worry about getting stuck in them as they shut. Oh the fun!!

Steve went to get the car and then drove me home. I hobbled up to the bath and then went to bed for a couple of hours. After my sleep I had another bath and then set up camp on the sofa for the rest of the night. I still don’t think it’s sunk in quite what I have achieved. But everyone keeps telling me how proud of me they are. Which is nice.

1 comment:

  1. <a href=" http://www.outrageousfunpartyrentals.com/> Funny Interactive games </a>
    Funny Interactive games are not only good for the physical health of people but also help them in agitating their cognitive functionality. As people have to understand the entire maze on the spot, make strategies and implement them. The one, who is active, both physically and mentally, will be triumphant at the end of the day. Corporate sectors are also using such games to evaluate their employee problem solving abilities from time to time.

    ReplyDelete