Monday 6 April 2009

Sunday 5th April

12 mile walk – tick

All of a sudden a big clock has started ticking in my head, I know exactly how long it is until the Moonwalk at any given date, my life revolves around that date, and all the training walks in-between. Every walk I do now is one nearer to the big one. It’s 5 weeks and 5 days to go you know. That’s less than 6 weeks and everything.

Anyway, the 12 miler. I’d missed Friday’s walk as my little toes are really painful, I’d put plasters round each one before I set off. I went with fellow moonwalker Diane down to Hythe. I’d had a bit of hectic morning which included a broken computer which needed a complete re-installation, and a chip in my car windscreen which had started to spread. A call to my insurance company assured me that the car was safe to drive until they come to fix it on Thursday. All of which meant I didn’t have any lunch, but luckily I’d had a big breakfast, and I took a cereal bar and a couple of banana’s with me to munch on the way round.

We started on the sea front and walked along the promenade, we stopped for drinks and toilets about 5 mins in so we got off to a slow start. At the end of the promenade, we headed up the residential streets towards the canal, then headed along the south side of the canal for a couple of miles, before crossing over to the north side and walking another couple. Unfortunately on the north side, there was no flat path and it was hard work dodging tree roots and muddy patches. We did walk along the bottom of Port Lympne Animal Park though, wasn’t really expecting to see emus, antelopes and buffalo when I set off along the canal in the morning!! After about 4 miles altogether alongside the canal we turned left and walked for about 3 miles through the flat fields on the outskirts of Hythe. It was a beautiful day and we could see for miles. And it doesn’t seem like such a long way when you have someone to talk to. As we headed back on the main road in to Hythe, I had to stop and readjust my shoes and socks as the ball of my right foot was killing me. I wish I hadn’t looked as there was a big blister there filled with blood. I readjusted and set back off but it was really sore. After about another mile, my foot suddenly stopped hurting. I knew the blister had burst but I didn’t dare look. If I don’t know what it looks like I THINK it hurts, if I see it I KNOW it hurts. We headed back towards the canal and walked on the north side as we headed past the golf course. We only had half a mile left when we crossed the canal, headed back on to the seafront and back to the car. It took us 3.5 hours, which means if I can keep that pace up, I can do the 26 miles in less than 8 hours, which would be a personal result for me. We walked past the car to a cafe 5 mins down to have a cuppa, and by the time we headed back to the car my body’s natural painkillers had worn off, and I had to swallow a couple of nurofen. I drove back home and got in the bath, which made my burst blister sting like mad. And let’s just not talk about my little toe, it doesn’t even look like a toe anymore!

So, things I learnt today, obviously comfy trainers, 2 pairs of 1000mile socks, and plasters round your little toes are not enough to stop blisters. I give up on that one, I’m just going to have to pop painkillers all the way round I think. I’m also going to carry some safety pins, because I know you aren’t supposed to pop blisters, but the relief when it popped was immense because the pressure went away. I also tested out my bumbag, which was fab, worth every penny and I know it’s not going to get in my way on the night. And it’s a lot easier to walk when you haven’t been drinking alcohol the night before!!

So apart from the after effects I’m suffering today, it was a successful walk. I might have to skip the next short one to let my feet recover, but I’ve got 15 miles planned for Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment