Tuesday 21 April 2009

Just an update

I haven’t posted a walk on here yet, because I haven’t been walking L

After my 17 mile walk over Easter, I developed yet another nasty blister which was half hanging off on my right foot little toe. I’ve been trying to walk barefoot wherever possible to toughen my feet up, and unfortunately, there was such little skin left on my toe that dirt must have got in around my toenail (which is clinging on for dear life) and I got an infection. The clue was when my little toe got twice as big as it should have been and went red. So off I limped to a walk(hobble)in clinic near work to get it looked at. It’s a bit hit and miss as to whether you get a decent doctor or not. I didn’t. His grasp of English was poor and he didn’t understand what I was trying to say about being in training for an event. When I asked for some general advice, he spoke to me like the blister on my toe was the only one I had, so at that point I took the prescription for antibiotics and left. I also decided not to walk at all for a week. A good friend of mine pointed out that it didn’t matter how many miles I could walk, how quickly, or how fit I was, if I couldn’t bear to put my feet down, I wasn’t going to get far past the start line. Consider myself told. I haven’t walked the whole time I have been on antibiotics, last day today. I’m also going to substitute the long walk this weekend for a number of 6-8 mile walks. The problem has been that I have created a blister early on, then walked on that blister until it is so bad, it can’t recover before the next walk. So I’m going to concentrate on speed and technique for the next couple of weeks, and just try every trick known to man on how to prevent blisters and/or heal them afterwards. It’s getting so bad, I’ve had a voucher for plasters on my Boots advantage card LOL

Anyway, on to more cheery stuff. I’ve had my bra/t-shirt/cap pack through. I think I ticked large for the t-shirt, because I’m a 14/16 and I like big t-shirts, but when they said large, they meant large. If I take some tent poles, I can probably have a sleep under it at the end. And the bra doesn’t fit, it’s not the style I usually use. I tend to go for full cup or balcony style, but this is a cleavage enhancing style, and I really don’t need more cleavage. I ran on the spot for approximately 35 seconds before I fell out of it. Won’t be using that one! However, I do have an old white cotton bra which I don’t wear because it is slightly on the small side. It is more supportive though, so I think I will use that instead.

I’ve also got what I need to decorate my bra. I’m going for ‘shiny disco balls’ and I’m going to provide the disco balls for all the strictly dancers. I’m hopefully getting together with a few other moonwalkers to do a group decorating session, which should be really good fun. And I’m also getting together with the other moonwalkers to do the 20 mile walk over the bank holiday weekend. I think that is one long walk I have to do if I have any hope of getting over the finish line on the night.

I have really been enjoying all the training I’ve been doing for the Moonwalk, and I’m gutted that I’m having so many foot problems. I was thinking about doing the Edinburgh one next year as it is somewhere I have never been, and I spend every working day in London. But after the last couple of weeks, and pleading from my husband, I have decided that it’s just not worth the grief. I might just volunteer to help out next year instead. A shame for me, but good for them I guess. I need to work on the positive thinking as well, think I used it all up doing the last three miles at Easter LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment