Tuesday 11 November 2008

The First Walk

I thought it was about time I got cracking with a bit of training. It was my birthday last week and the neighbours bought me a walking survival kit. Consisting of scarf, hat, gloves and a brolly LOL It also had a WW pedometer in which will be very useful (and so will the other things if the weather doesn’t change!)

So I packed my new walking trainers and my pedometer in to my work bag with a view to going out for a wander at lunch. But the heavens opened and showed no signs of closing, so I went down the gym and did it on a treadmill instead. I set my pedometer up to ‘average’ for a female of my height, but judging on the results that won’t be accurate as I will be power walking, not pottering around. And it came in at ¾’s of what I walked so I will need to do the manual measurement I think.

I did a warm up and then walked a couple of miles (even though the treadmill measures in kms – grrr) I did the first mile in 16 ½ minutes and the second mile in 15 ¾ minutes, and then cooled down. I didn’t think that was too bad, my aim is a constant 15 minute mile through the whole walk, so it’s going to be my stamina I have to work on, not my speed. Hopefully.

By the time I had set my pedometer up, warmed up, walked two miles and cooled down, I figured I ought to head back to the office. My feet were a bit sore so I’m going to take my 1000 mile socks next time. But apart from that it wasn’t so bad. Watched ¾ of Wife Swap whilst I walked so that passed the time a bit, once I’d got the hang of the screen controls anyway. I go to aerobics classes quite often but it’s a while since I went in the actual gym.My aim is to walk 3 or 4 miles twice a week until Christmas, then I’ll start to build up the distance a bit I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment